Wednesday, April 16, 2014

One month can be a long time...

It's interesting how slow or fast time can pass. Our 37 days in South Africa seemed to fly by and our 3 weeks in Thailand felt like another lifetime. But the last month since my accident has taken forever.

I think it has to do with my level of activity, the number of new experiences and the vibe of the place(s). In South Africa, we moved around a lot -- sleeping in a dozen different locations and filling each day to the brim (minus a few rainy days of hiding out). In Thailand, we spent all our nights except one in the same house, hanging out with the same group of people (for the most part) day in and day out, really getting to the know the place and feel at home.

And then without warning (or at least without noticing the warning signs), I broke my feet and embarked on a new journey, back to the States to undo the damage and heal myself. And although I'm surrounded by loving family, in a place I called home for 18 years, time has seemed to stand still. Maybe it was the pain meds. Maybe it's the yearning to continue traveling. But either way, this last month has felt like forever and I'm delighted to be ready to move onto the next phase of my recovery.

Today I had my post-op follow-up with my foot surgeon, got the ugly sutures removed from my mangled foot and am one big step closer to walking on two legs again.

When I quit my fabulous job in January, I never thought I'd be back in the States hobbling around on one (slightly less broken) foot or rolling around in a wheelchair in just four short months. But alas, that's where I'm at.

But like all of life's unexpected turns, your experience is what you make of it.

So here's a quick recap of the new and unexpected experiences I've gained in the last month courtesy of this unfortunate accident:

  • Breaking a bone all the way through
  • Learning what it means to writhe in pain
  • Experiencing high-quality affordable health care in Thailand
  • Flying first class
  • Using a walker
  • Being evacuated in an armored vehicle
  • Getting an MRI, a CT and countless X-Rays
  • Navigating a public restroom in a wheelchair
  • Seeing the Georgia O'Keefe exhibit at the de Young Museum
  • Spending loads of time with my parents and grandma
  • Telling other people how I hurt myself and seeing them think, "Well, that's what you get for doing that extreme sport" -- while others remarked, "Wow! I've always wanted to go paragliding."
  • Getting tickled by a nurse pre-op
  • Having metal staples (sutures) removed from my foot without anesthetic
  • Learning I'm allergic to Percocet
  • Finding out how many people care about my well-being
  • Getting quality time with my old very fat, super fluffy kitty
  • Seeing just how fabulous my hubby can be!
  • Learning that I am calm and clear-headed in crises

As my friend Matt says, everything works out perfectly -- or at least you can choose to live your life that way. And for now, I do.

 

Thanks for continuing to join me on this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment