Saturday, October 4, 2014

Blending in or standing out

A few weeks ago, in Tonga, I saw an octopus while snorkeling. I looked down and there was a translucent white creature swimming toward me, about six feet below. Octopi don't really swim though; they sort of walk in water, moving one tentacle at a time, reaching it forward like a ballerina's toe and then curling it in as the octopus slinks along behind. I was mesmerized. But I snapped out of it enough to holler to Josh and Cheri--through my snorkel mind you--that there was an octopus they needed to see.

We three circled around the octopus watching it blend in with the surrounding rock. First, it took on a reddish color with bumpy texture to match the coral behind. As it continued to seek a resting place, the octopus gracefully and gradually faded to a deep, smooth maroon and hid itself in the underbelly of some stag horn coral. The octopus watched us watching it and decided it was time again to move along. It's tentacles turned yellow first, then it developed a yellow stripe down its back and finally the rest of the octopus transformed to a mottled pastel pattern as it matched itself to its surrounding yet again.

Only when it trawled across a distance of a few feet did it let its true color--transculent white--shine through. And then it was gone! A double-take and I spotted him, curled up around a furry textured coral mimicking it's variegated colors and polyp-like spikes. Each time the octopus changed positions, it transformed itself to perfectly blend in with its location.

As I swam in the ocean, I wondered how many times I have snorkeled past an octopus, blind to its proximity, mistaking this amazing creature for another bit of coral. I also admired the octopus for its ability to fit in most anywhere, yet still retain its true color. As I travel around the world, exploring new places and trying to feel at home in different surroundings, I know that I rarely blend in. And despite that, I sometimes still lose myself in the tangle of textures and personas that the unfamiliar bring. As I continue my adventures, I will think about that octopus and know that I am me regardless of where I am or what I am doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment