Friday, January 3, 2014

Unemployed at last...

My dream of quitting my job to travel has finally come true. Today was my last day at a job I truly enjoyed. But when all is said and done, there is nothing I love more than travel -- except maybe my hubby, my family, and my best girl friends. And so here I go, taking the plunge. I say, here I go, because my hubby gets to keep his job AND travel. (Not because I'm headed out alone.... that is too much adventure, even for me.)

This is not the first time I have been unemployed. Over the last fifteen years, I have found myself unemployed multiple times for multiple reasons. I've left jobs to move to new places, I've quit jobs to improve my health and I've even been fired (technically laid off, but really what's the difference when all your carrying out your knickknacks in a box). Still this is the first time that I've quit a job I genuinely liked to do something truly wild and fun. And I'm incredibly excited about it! (As I should be, right?!)

The next step on my road to travel looks a little bit like madness. My hubby and I are selling our home of nine years; giving away, selling or storing all our belongings; re-homing our precious kitty; getting travel immunizations of all stripes; and figuring out how to fit everything we'll need for a year into backpacks we can carry without breaking our backs. I'm ready for the adventure abroad to begin, but I'm not too excited about all the packing, painting, gardening, and saying goodbyes that need to happen in the next 10 days.

But alas, it is only ten days. And then we'll be squeezed like sardines into an airplane with a hundred other folks, grinning our faces off and trying not to pinch ourselves until we're bruised. Life awaits...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment